Monday, September 17, 2012

A Skit of Chapter 21 of The Prince


Chapter XXI – How A Prince Should Conduct Himself To Gain Renown


Characters:
Boy Abunda
King Ferdinand
Prince Dastan
Princess Tamina
Former President Gloria Arroyo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boy Abunda: Good evening televiewers! We are here live at the Bottom Line. “Great enterprises and noble examples are two ways for a prince to earn prestige.” This is just one of the most famous lines in The Prince, a well-known book written by Niccolo Machiavelli, the father of modern political theory, who has influenced the minds of many.
Tonight’s episode will be very different. We’ll be having a little trend for a change and we’ll have special guests.  Tonight’s guests are kings and rulers who have been bowed by many and have held kingdoms under their power. Tonight they will show off their intellect by answering questions that we have prepared specially for them. We will be asking them one at a time. Others will be inside a sound-proof booth where they will surely hear nothing from our conversations here.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s start it with the king who has risen from being an insignificant king to the foremost king of Christendom by fame and glory. Let us all welcome King Ferdinand of Spain.
*Claps*
(King Ferdinand enters.)
Boy Abunda: Good evening King Ferdinand.
King Ferdinand: Good evening too. Might I ask you, what place is this?
Boy Abunda: Welcome to the Bottom Line.                                               
King Ferdinand: Bottom line? I should never be in the bottom line. Why would I be? The leader of the army should be in the front line and not in the bottom line. Great rulers always show leadership and courage you know.
Boy: No no. You are in a show. You are in the Bottom Line.
King Ferdinand: A show? Oh. Might I ask to make a few greetings to my family and subjects back in Spain? (to audience) Good day to my family and my subjects back in Spain! I hope you are all watching. I am in the Bottom Line! (to Boy) Thank you.
Boy Abunda: You’re welcome your highness. It is my honor to have you here, a king who has accomplished many great deeds. We all know that you have successfully attacked Granada, Africa, Italy and France. This time, we would like to know how you have managed to attain such a triumph.
King Ferdinand: Good question you have there. As king, I must secure and protect my kingdom by being wise in making decisions and of course, I do not want to be the cause of its downfall. But your kindness seems to show the respect and faith that you have in me. So let me tell you this, I did it quietly and without any fear of hindrance. I held the minds of the barons of Castile who were all busy thinking of the war and not anticipating any innovations. They did not perceive by that means I was acquiring power and authority over them.
Boy Abunda: Wow! I’m blown away. That was really a great strategy of yours. Your military skill has really been distinguished. Only great minds like yours could think of that.
King Ferdinand: Yes. I think so. I was also able with the money of the Church and of the people to sustain my armies. I also used religion to undertake greater schemes. I devoted myself to clearing my kingdom of the Moors. Sometimes, it needs to be witty to get what you want. It’s all or nothing. But still, it’s a matter of choice. It’s still up to you if you would take them for granted.
Boy Abunda: No one could be compared to you. No one could be a more admirable example. You have conquered Africa, Italy and France by using the same cloak?
King Ferdinand: No. Of course not! I change my cloak often. I don’t want to get dirty. It ruins my image. But I am very fortunate of having these achievements. My actions have arisen one out of the other, that men have never been given time to work steadily against me.
Boy Abunda: Thank you very much King Ferdinand. Thank you for sharing us your military skills.
*Claps*
(King Ferdinand goes out.)
Boy Abunda: Now, let’s use the magical dagger and use the sands of time to look back when the holy city of Alamut was invaded by Prince Dastan. Ladies and gentlemen, let’s welcome the Prince of Persia, Prince Dastan and his lovely wife, Princess Tamina.
*Claps*
(Prince Dastan and Princess Tamina enter.)
Boy Abunda: Good evening Prince Dastan and Princess Tamina. Princess Tamina, you are really a gorgeous wife.
Princess Tamina: Thank you Boy. You sure are too.
Boy Abunda: Haha. You’re flattering me. J Prince Dastan, we all know your story and how you were tricked by your uncle Nizam, the right hand of the former King of Persia, your father. You are a brave prince; you surpassed all the troubles that came to your life. How did you know where the right side is?
Prince Dastan: As prince/king, I can win prestige by declaring myself an ally of one side of a conflict. In my case, I sided with Tamina and not my uncle. I guess true justice has lead me.
Boy Abunda: You never thought to be neutral?
Prince Dastan: Of course not. I am acidic. Haha. Neutrality alienates both the victor and the loser. The victor sees the neutral prince as a doubtful friend; the loser sees the neutral prince as weak coward. Someone who is not your friend will always request that you remain neutral, while a true friend will always ask you for your armed support. A prince can escape short-term danger through neutrality, but at the cost of long-term grief. Instead, a prince should boldly declare support for one side.
Boy Abunda: So that’s how it went. J Now, you’re married to the beautiful princess of Alamut, Princess Tamina. How does relationship, specifically marriage of royalties (like yours), between two different kingdoms contribute to the success of one another?
Prince Dastan: For us, marriage is not just a bind between two people who love each other. It is not only a social institution under which a man and a woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments and religious ceremonies. Political marriage is different from our view. By marriage, we have expanded our kingdoms, we have developed our trade and markets and we have made our economy stable.
Boy Abunda: So it has many benefits though. Lovers with benefits? J
Princess Tamina: They’re not just benefits actually.  Some people would judge us that this is not true love but only a political marriage. But for the two of us, our love is different from any other couple. Our family is our kingdom. Love builds a family. Love is the foundation of our kingdom. That is why together, our kingdom stands tall among the rest.
Boy Abunda: Very well said Princess Tamina. Truly, love is a very powerful thing and can conquer even the mighty hearts of kingdoms. Thank you very much for being here with us.
*Claps*
(Prince Dastan and Princess Tamina goes out.)
Boy Abunda: Our last, but definitely not the least, our very own Former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. Let us all give her a round of applause.
*Claps*
Boy Abunda: Good evening President. How are you right now!
GMA: Well, I’m still suffering from my hypoparathyroid, diarrhea, and not mention the stress this controversial tug of war has given me. The nerve of some people to actually deny a senior citizen her medical treatment.
Boy Abunda: I can see you are having a bad time these past few days.
GMA: Yes. There’s no reason not to be.
Boy Abunda: Anyway, welcome to Bottom Line. I have some questions here to ask you—
GMA: If that is about the electoral sabotage, all I can say is I am sorry. But I did not do anything.
Boy Abunda: Uhm… Mrs. Arroyo, what I was going to ask you is about the—
GMA: What? I spent my nine years of presidency encouraging citizens to excel in their occupations, and live their lives in peace. That is what a leader should do, right?
Boy Abunda: Uhm… Mrs. Arroyo, what I was going to ask you is—
GMA:  I never discouraged nor excessively taxed private acquisition or prosperous commerce. I even rewarded those who contributed to the overall prosperity of the state by personal visits and city-wide feasts, but now, when my life is finally at peace, the past years are haunting me. I told you I did nothing wrong! I tried my best to be a great leader!
Audience: Weh?
GMA: Yes! I tried to follow the examples set by the late kings and rulers, especially the way they gained their esteem. I am sorry, but I really did nothing wrong! I did nothing wrong!!!
Boy Abunda: Before everything gets worse, I’d like to thank my sponsors HJ Tiles, Aqua Drinking Water, Julie’s Bakeshop, and Jolina’s Food Catering Services. And that’s how kings and rulers conduct themselves to gain renown. ‘Til next time. This is the Bottom Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment